Self-care is SO important whether you are a writer or just a human, so today I am going to give some tips, ideas and reminders on how to make the most of your self-care sessions.
What Is Self-Care?
Self-care is what it sounds like. It is time devoted to you and you only, when you replenish your energy and as a writer, your creative well also.
- Take a bubble bath + read
- Movie night in bed
- Go for a walk
- Go to the gym
- Colour in a colouring book
- Watch writing vlogs
- Research new hobbies
- Make lists!
- bucket lists
- goals and aspirations
- books to read
- movies to watch
- Journal! (thoughts, feelings, ideas, short stories, etc)
- Set Aside ONE whole day whenever you can to focus on your self-care
- Have an hour or so in the evenings also dedicated to self-care (everyday or as many days possible)
- Candles, candles, candles
- Soft, relaxing music (none of this hardcore metallica…unless that relaxes you)
- Healthy foods (lots of recipes on Pinterest)
- Lots of fresh air
- Get off your phone!
Risks of Not Caring For Yourself:
- Creative burnout
- Physical/mental burnout
- Always feeling tired!
- Prone to metal breakdowns (not fun)
It is so, so important to care for you body and mind! When you are a writer, you want to just work, work, and work to make your story better and to get more words on the page. It can be hard to allow yourself to take a few hours off, let alone an entire day, without feeling guilty, but it is crucial to your creative process. I like to take Sundays (mostly) off and on Sundays I try to stay away from writing my current WIP, limit my time on my phone, take baths, do lots of reading, and plan for the week to come. These are the ways I care for my mind and body, and make sure I start the next week off energized and ready to go!
Anyways, that is all for this post and I hope you enjoyed! If you have any other self-care activities or tips, then definitely comment them down below 🙂
Last Blog Post: Reading Update – Summer Biannual Bibliothon Day 3
Biannual Bibliothon: Summer Biannual Bibliothon Day 1 – Favourite Vacation Spots