I cannot believe another two months have already passed, and that it is time to update you all on how I did with my goals for May and June! Let me just start by saying…May and June were not my most productive months, but you know what, sometimes that is how it goes. All you can do is work hard on your next handful of goals and try the best you can for those months. Let’s go over what I did and didn’t accomplish for my last set of bimonthly goals, and then let’s take a look at my goals for the months of July and August!
May + June Goals Overview:
- Read 8 Books – Sadly I did not achieve this but I was so, so, so close! I ended up reading a total of 7 books, and was literally only 40 pages off from finishing my eighth book but ended up reading those pages the next day, which was July 1st. If I realized I was so close to achieving that goal, I would have pushed myself to finish it but what can you do?
- Get Accepted into uStart – This is a program at my school that allows you to take a university class during your grade 12 year and I am happy to say I did achieve this goal! This was a “out of my hands” goal but I really wanted to put it on my goals list because I had high hopes I would get in, and I did so yay! I will be taking a first year writing class (Writing 100) and I am super excited.
- Finish Draft 1 of My WIP – I also achieved this…kind of. I wrote what I could and am now currently working on draft 2 and ugh, it is so much fun. I wrote my first draft during Camp NaNoWriMo in April, and then wrote into May so if I keep up this pace, I am on my way to finishing draft 2 either in July or August.
- Submit to 3 Writing Contests – Yeah, nope. I submitted to one but then got really busy but I am not too upset about that.
- Submit to 1 Literary Magazine – …nope. Again, I just ran out of time!
- Prep for Editing WIP Draft 2 – I did this! Mind you, it was during the last week of June but I did it, and feel more prepped and ready to dive into draft 2 then I did with draft 1.
Anyways, so I completed a solid 50% of my goals which is more than I originally thought. But without further ado, let’s take a look at my goals for the months of July and August!
July + August Goals
- Finish Draft 2 of My WIP
- Submit to 1 Writing Contest
- Submit to 1 Literary Magazine
- Write 3 NEW Short Stories (at least)
- Read 12 Books
On top of these five goals, I have two personal goals which brings me to a total of seven goals. While it is a LOT less than what I usually have, I want to give myself a lighter load for the summer. Also because this summer I want to steer my focus on finishing draft 2 of my WIP and putting together my writing portfolios for writing scholarships so overall, it will still be a busy two months.
Anyways, that is all for this blog post, and I also wanted to say sorry for not having one up on Monday. I talked about it a bit on my Instagram (shameless self-promo-but check out my social media, all linked below!) but my mental health was really spiraling on Sunday and I just wasn’t in the mood to do anything creative. I feel a lot better now and am writing for Camp NaNoWriMo and ready to pump out some more blog posts as well 🙂
Last Blog Post: Reading + Writing Update!
Other Places You Can Find Me:
It is that time again already where I go over everything I accomplished in March and April, and then what I hope to accomplish in May and June. March and April were actually very productive months and I am incredibly proud of what I got done, so fingers crossed the next two months will be the same!
For March and April I had a total of 7 goals and if you want to see what they were check out that blog post here but out of of those 7, I accomplished 6! The only one I didn’t accomplish was to read ten books but you know what, sometimes you just can’t read all the books!
May + June Goals:
- Read 8 Books – Since 10 was a little too much, I thought I would bring it down a bit. However, I think this will still be a challenge considering May and June are extremely busy months school wise. I have high hopes though!
- Get Accepted into My Universities uStart Program for Writing – This is a program that allows you to take a university level course during your grade 12 year, and has been something I really wanted to do for a while now. If I get accepted, I would be taking Writing 100, so fingers crossed it will happen! I don’t usually write down goals that I can’t control the outcome of, but I am making an acception for this one.
- Finish Draft 1 of WIP by May 31 – I am currently halfway through my WIP, so I am almost positive I can get this done. That is, unless I decide to continue being lazy and NOT write.
- Submit to 3 Writing Contests – This was the number (I think) I submitted to in the last few months, so I am sure I will easily be able to do it again. There are a lot of writing contests that are catching my eye for the next two months, so hopefully I have enough time and inspiration to pump out a few stories for them!
- Submit to 1 Literary Magazine – Again, I submitted to 1 literary magazine last time, so I am sure I will be able to do it again!
- Prep for Editing WIP – This is definitely one of my most important goals because my first drafts are always so random and bare that I need to fill in a LOT of things during the next write. In June, while I am taking my break from writing, I need to just sit down and get all my new thoughts down so I can write an even better second draft.
That is all for this post and I hope you enjoyed! Make sure to comment some of your monthly goals that you want to achieve, and also check out my last blog post and follow me on social media 🙂
Last Blog Post: Writing About Young Adults
Other Places You Can Find Me:
So I made a blog post for my January and February goals back in January, and while I said I was going to recap them when I got around to writing my March and April goals, I’m just going to pretend I never said that. Basically the first two months of 2018 were fails for the goals I set because I set goals that were way out of reach. I wouldn’t say the months were unsuccessful because I did accomplish some things, but overall it was a flop on my goals. Anyways, now I know what kind of goals to set for myself so I made a list of my March and April goals that are ambitious but not too ambitious!
March + April Goals:
- Finish my Creative Writing 12 by March 16
- Write + publish 30 blog posts
- Submit to 3 short story contests
- Submit to 1 literary magazine
- Finish outlining novel
- Write 40,000 words during Camp NaNoWriMo in April
- Read 10 books
These goals are much more reachable than my past goals, and I am already chugging along to completing some of them already! Fingers crossed though that my wrap up on these goals in May is way more successful than January and February, but honestly no month could be as lazy as them!
Anyways that is all for my reading and writing goals for the months of March and April, and I hope you enjoyed. Make sure you comment some goals you have for the coming months, and also check out my last blog post: Prepping for Camp NaNoWriMo #2
Other Places You Can Find Me: