Okay, obviously you need to actually WRITE to become a better WRITER, but it is also important to remember that there are other ways to become a better and stronger writer. I hope you apply some of these new ideas to your writing process, and I hope you enjoy!
- Read – Yes, yes this is the obvious one but it had to be said in a blog post like this. You would be surprised how many people forget to crack open a book while writing their own story, or just writing anything in general. It is important to keep up a regular reading routine that goes along with your writing routine because continually reading will continue to inspire you and help you improve your craft as you go along. Even if you can only fit in 15 minutes a day for reading, every little bit helps.
- New Experiences – Going for a walk around town or hopping on the bus and going for a cruise will open your eyes to the world around us. You will see people interacting and new landscapes which will benefit your writing. You will be able to paint scenery better because you actually saw it, and could pick up on some interesting dialogue as well. Make sure you leave your writing office every once and a while!
- Learning – Even if you have long since graduated from school, there are so many opportunities for you to learn new things. Take online classes or classes at your local college on subjects that interest you (not just writing, but classes like history, art, languages, etc), check out books on different topics from the library, or use the internet! There are so many resources at your fingertips that I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want to keep learning. Learning new things will widen your field of writing when it comes to blog posts and articles, because as they say, pick something (or several things), become an expert in it, and then write it.
- Watch Movies/TV! – This might be your favourite one, because I know it is one of my favourite ways to become a better writer. Watching movies and TV’s triggers new ideas and allows you to admire the story line and then dissect it. You get to learn what makes an entertaining plot, and where it falls flat, and then apply it to your own writing.
- Podcasts – Every writer should be subscribed to several different podcasts, whether they are writing related or something completely different. I am subscribed to many writing/creativity related podcasts, but also some on history and mythology ones as well. They are nice to listen to when you are walking around or driving, or even cleaning your room/house. If you have a busy life and don’t have much time to commit to the tips above, I definitely recommend checking out some podcasts because they allow you to listen to them while doing other tasks!
Okay, NOW is when writing comes in!
Those are my 5 tips on how to become a better writer apart from actually writing, and I hope you enjoyed. Don’t forget to check out the blog posts below for more writing and reading related content 🙂
Last Blog Post: Camp NaNoWriMo Week 3: Using Your Cabin
Other Places You Can Find Me: