- A Stunning Cover – Even though you should never ever judge a book buy its cover…it does help to have a pretty cover that makes me want to pick it up. I only buy books I am 98% sure I will enjoy, but if it has a nice cover than that is always a bonus.
- Relatable Characters – Having realistic and relatable characters is essential to an amazing book. Nobody has completely perfect skin, nobody has no insecurities, nobody never feels stressed, and the list goes on and on. If a character is too perfect it can drive me away! As Stephanie Perkins says in Lola and the Boy Next Door, it is your imperfections that make you perfect for someone else.
- Humour – I do like my dark, twisted books, but I love when a book has little bits of humour in it. I love to laugh but when I read it is really hard to get me to laugh for some reason…so if a book makes me laugh out loud instead of just in my mind then it is definitely a keeper.
- Not Too Complicated Plot – Sometimes authors create such complex and fine detailed worlds, that it is hard for me to follow along. Other authors though, have a fantastic skill where they have this massive, detailed world, yet it is easy for anyone to understand it by reading their books. Some examples of not too complicated but amazing plots are Cassandra Clare’s Shadowhunter books, and of course, JK Rowling’s Harry Potter series!
- Fantasy or Contemporary – I do read lots of different genres of books such as sci-fi, dystopian, middle grade, etc, but honestly, if it is a fantasy or contemporary I am 10x more likely to buy it. I just love how magical fantasy is, and how realistic and adorable contemporaries can be. The two can be total opposites but sometimes not.
Those are five things I look for in a book and I hope you enjoyed. Don’t forget to check out my last blog post and also comment below some things you look for in a book!